Monster Ethnica is a music producer’s friend for making music with many ethnic musical instruments of the world (currently it is mostly from Indonesia).
Whether you need an exotic flute sound or the famous Gamelan sound of Indonesia, the beautiful sound of a Bag Pipe from Scotland (later), or thundering percussion from Africa (later), you’ll find that Monster Ethnica is becoming your Go-To virtual instrument for your music.
The great thing about this VST is that this is never complete. This VST gets a new expansion sound continuously every now and then!
The Indonesian ethnic musicians donated all the sampling for free in Monster Ethnica to show that they care about other producers to create great music without spending money.
But Monster Ethnica is not for Indonesian instruments only (it is now because I live in Indonesia), if you have an ethnic musical instrument and can play and record it and are willing to donate your sampling, please CONTACT ME ! Let’s make this the complete solution for every producer/arranger around the world!
Monster Ethnica is under the MonsterDAW name that was previously on the www.monsterdaw.com website (all of the VSTs there will be moved later to this AHTV blog).
Notes: MonsterDAW is a brand owned by me, Agus Hardiman, the host of this AHTV Blog
Monster Ethnica Sound Demo
diDDi AGePe made a unique music composition titled ‘Borneo’ with the story about the threat of extinction of the Orang Utan in Kalimantan a.k.a Borneo of Indonesia. He used the SAPEK preset from #MonsterEthnicaVST :
A demo of Angklung preset of Monster Ethnica. Music credit by Brian Joe :
Stamatis Stabos made a detailed installation video of Monster Ethnica and made a cool and unique music with it:
Indonesia’s leading brand, Shopee, uses Angklung preset from Monster Ethnica in their ad campaign, listen it here:
If you feel like making a review/sound demo of this, please let me know via the CONTACT page of this AHTV Blog or just mention it on social media. I’ll consider putting your video here!
Monster Ethnica Features (v2-2022.07)
- Dozens of exotic-sounding presets. The current version is v2-2022.07 with 11 Presets (This will be updated regularly, please sign-up for my newsletter in this AHTV blog HOMEPAGE to be notified of updates).
- Global Volume, ADSR (Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release), and Reverb.
- Parameter Automation to dynamically change sounds that fit your music (Read below on ‘How To Automate Monster Ethnica Parameters‘).
- Soundbank/Presets can be placed on an external hard disk, no need to place it in a startup drive (Read step #4 below on ‘Monster Ethnica Download Links and Installation Steps‘).
- Parameter/Knob value reset by double-clicking it.
- A new expansion sounds preset will be released/updated regularly every now and then. Make sure you sign-up for my newsletter in this AHTV blog HOMEPAGE to be notified of updates.
- Major plugin format: Windows 64bit DAW, Mac VST, and Mac Audio Unit (AU). If you’re a Pro Tools user, please use BlueCat Patchwork to use this VST in your PT.
Monster Ethnica Download Links and Installation Steps
Monster Ethnica doesn’t have an installer so you have to place the files manually. Follow these steps carefully:
1. Download The Monster Ethnica MAIN Player
Click and download one of the FREE main player of Monster Ethnica according to your OS (Mac or Windows) and the plugin formats (VST or Audio Unit):
2. Unzip and Put It In Your DAW’s Plugin Folder
Unzip the download files and put the main file (.vst3 or .component or .dll) in your DAW’s plugin folder (Googling “daw plugin location mac windows”).
3. Download The Monster Ethnica’s Library
Download this Library file:
Unzip it and put it into any folder/external hard disk (But don’t change the folder structure in the original zip file).
4. Insert Monster Ethnica and Choose Library Location
Fire up your DAW and insert the MONSTER Ethnica plugin (usually under AgusHardiman.TV folder/brand).
Click “Choose folder” to change the soundbank/preset location and point it out to the folder location of Monster Ethnica Library:
5. Play and Record!
If step #4 succeded, you are now can choose a preset and go play and record:
How To Automate Monster Ethnica Parameters?
In Cubase, after inserting the Monster Ethnica plugin, you have to open the automation lane (I’m using Monster Synth as the example):
In Studio One, go to the Piano Roll and add the parameters to automate (I’m using Monster Synth as the example):
In other DAWs, find a way/googling on how to add automation lanes/tracks.
FAQ About Monster Ethnica
Q : I have installed Monster Ethnica version 1. Should I delete that version or keep it ?
A : If you have some important project sessions with version 1, you should keep it. It will not clash with the new version 2. On my computer, I have version 1 and version 2, side-by-side. This version 2 has more presets and sub-presets.
Q : I want XXX and YYY features of Monster Ethnica, can you program it?
A : To be honest, I’m a professional musician and audio educator BUT I’m not a professional plugin programmer. I do this just for fun, so your request may not be available (but you can always try to ask me via the CONTACT page).
Q : Why there is no VST 32-bit versions anymore?
A : In the past, I made a 32-bit version of my VST. But now my programming software CAN’T output 32-bit plugin anymore, so I’m not providing 32-bit.
Q : I have a problem using this plugin on my Mac, I’m using Monterey/Big Sur/Catalina or new Mac OSX. It says that the files are damaged or can’t be opened because the developer is not trusted.
A : That problem was caused by Mac OS security which now is very strict. I have applied for a developer account in Apple to be a trusted developer but they haven’t responded to my inquiry yet.
In the meantime, please use Chris Kenrick’s PlugDeQuar apps that basically de-quarantine Monster Ethnica plugin. Download it here: https://pelennor.gumroad.com/l/djesj?fbclid=IwAR30uTgwj62UwGf01-HrKakIkm-jXIHKvUyKTMa3_N7oDRd63aYjea0pBZo
Watch the How To video here (Please subscribe him too):
Q : This site is flag as containing virus / malware etc. Is this site and the download files are safe ?
A : Some anti-virus like Norton reported false alarm. Even Chrome does this too (sometimes). But you can check my site in Google’s own Transparency Check or Safe Site Check here : https://transparencyreport.google.com/safe-browsing/search?url=https:%2F%2Fagushardiman.tv%2F&hl=en
Monster Ethnica Preset Contributors
The majority of presets in Monster Ethnica were programmed by me, Agus Hardiman, but the sampling was donated by my Indonesian friend. I’m open to collaboration. If you have some cool ethnic sound that you originally record, hit me up HERE!
Here are the list of the contributors:
Taganing Batak : Viky Sianipar. Gendang Melayu : Dedi Santoso. Gamelan Bali and Kendang Sunda : Deva Permana. Talempong : Ahmad Zaidi. Kolintang : Pinbers.id. Gamelan Jawa : Ronald Hutasuhut. Sapek : Helmy Trianggara. Suling Melayu : Adi. Pan Flute : Mr.Ahmad.
Monster Ethnica Version History
Version v2-2022.07 (released on July 28th, 2022):
- New feature: Preset Management to group the sound into categories.
- Presets categorize by 3 types : Percussion, Stringed, and Wind Instruments.
- New presets : Gamelan Bali (Indonesia), Kendang Sunda (Indonesia), Taganing Batak (Indonesia), Talempong (Indonesia), Kolintang (Indonesia), Gamelan Jawa (Indonesia), and Pan Flute (Romania).
- New sub-preset for old presets of Angklung Sunda.
Version v1 (released on July 6th, 2021):
- New presets : Angklung Sunda (Indonesia), Suling Melayu (Indonesia), Gendang Melayu, and Sapek (Indonesia).
Spread This Plugin To Your Friends
If you find this plugin useful, please spread this to your friends 🙏🏻
If you make music using this and share it on your social media, please include the hashtag #MonsterEthnica or #MonsterEthnicaVST so I can find it 😃
If you want to get notified when this plugin is updated, sign up for AHTV Newsletter on the front page of AHTV.